Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Then and Now

It has occurred to me a number of times, that people of a certain age are not aware of the continual and relentless loss of freedoms.  The reason being that they do not have a long enough memory of the before time.  So for these folks, and for those others who have forgotten, here is my list of Then.  If you like you can provide the now equivalent.

  1. There was no indefinite detention
  2. Air Travel was pleasurable
  3. The air in the Western US was clear and crystalline
  4. Our magnificent forests were not burning up
  5. Most of our food was safe to eat
  6. There was habeous corpus  
  7. Congress was not bought
  8. People honored the truth
  9. Church and State was separate
  10. Education was supported by the population and the politicians
  11. Public Schools were publicly owned and run
  12. Unions were strong and vital
  13. Public servants were honored
  14. The oceans were still savable
  15. Peace was a possibility
  16. The US engagement in unjust wars was challenged
  17. People were not afraid to protest injustices
  18. Protests attracted huge numbers
  19. People were not arrested for peaceful assembly 
  20. Corporation were entities that produced stuff, not owned the government
  21. The music business was not completely commercialized
  22. Movies were not all violent 
  23. Our paychecks covered out expenses plus some savings
  24. Banks were not completely corrupt
  25. The United States Mail was supported
  26. Social Security was a given
  27. Medical services were affordable
  28. The Constitution was honored
  29. The Supreme Court was respected
I do realize that the past was not utopian, that there were political and social issues.  However I do feel that the above list is accurate.  I also realize that there has  been positive change over the last 50 years.  Perhaps I will make a list of these changes in a future post.  

I would really like to know what you think of this list, and see any additions you might have.   Please comment.

Thanks,

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Here is my own comment. I am aware that there was racial and political repression when I was a youth. I do believe, however, that things have gotten worse. Now everyone is suspect, regardless of race or political leanings. Perhaps that is equality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved these statements/memories. I could add some "nows"
    I stay in touch with old friends I thought were lost from my life.
    I know more about the body and how to stay healthy.
    Psychic veils are thinner and/or have been lifted entirely.
    Words like: cleansings, core, past life, etc. are commonly accepted.
    Persecution for being 'spiritual' has lessened.

    Of course: the air is worse; water in big cities should not be drunk, people break into homes more, camp ground cost money, can't sleep on the beach.... thanks for the 'idea' and 'concept' of then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary Lou. Like your now list. All the other comments I received were via my email.

    Maybe, I'll work on an Now list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The electrical grid supplied all the electricity that was reasonably needed"

    by a friend.

    ReplyDelete