Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Corporatization/Localization: More Solutions

It is time to break our dependency on corporations.  In our culture corporations rule.  Even the government is under the control of corporations.   Look at the push for nuclear energy.  Certainly this is an act of supreme stupidity driven by corporate greed.  Not only do corporations executives not have a conscious they also seem to have no inherent intelligence.  The current behavior of  corporate is destructive to other, and also self-destructive.

That brings me to localization, and the need for us to act locally.   One of the way to do this is to grow a garden.  Now I understand that not everyone has the time or space to grow a large garden.  However we can all grow an edible or medicinal plant.  Everything we grow adds to the greenness of our environment.  A pot of basil, lavender, parsley, or a tomato plant can be grow practically anywhere.  Give organic potted plants as gifts.  Few of us need more manufactured things.  Give something useful, helpful and alive to the ones you love.

I find heartening the increasing trend to rooftop farming in NYC as well as other Urban environments. Farmer's markets are springing up everywhere.  Locally grown produce is  fresher, taste better, is healthier supports the economy of your community, and is general a good thing to support.

In support of localization and to counter corporate exploitation, especially of women, I make my own toiletries and cosmetics.  I make shampoo, hair rinse, tooth powder, and facial scrub mostly from herbs that I grow in my garden.  It is easy to make these product.  The use of simple ingredients such as lavender, rose petals, chamomile, mint and rosemary work for many things.  I do buy some needed ingredients, but these ingredients are not complicate chemical compounds, but simple substances.  I buy salt, baking powder, myrrh, essential oils, and a liquid soap from a local  apothecary shop.

For face refresher I use non alcoholic Witch Hazel.  For moisturizer I use coconut oil or shea butter.  I do not use commercial hand creams as they contain cetylalcohol, which is in my opinion a drying agent.  If your hand lotion leaves your hands feeling cool after use, this is due to evaporation, which is probably not helping your dry skin..

The herbs and ingredients that I use are not costly, are easily available and not produced by large multinational corporations.  It is good to feel free of  the need to purchase these often harmful products. Using my home made products and having positive results is gratifying.  This action frees me from advertisements that wants me to believe that a particular product will  transform me into a beautiful looking photograph of a model .

Make and grow as much of what you need as you can.  It is more satisfying they buying products that harm yourself and the environment.  The more independent we can be of consumerism, the better all will be.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that our youth severely lacks a sense of community and country. The military does foster this, but given it is administered by a corporate run government gives me no sense of security. From foreign invaders yes, but from government/corporatocracy opression; NO.

    I think that a local push for commerce and even trade mechanisms is a certain way to go. It bothers me that friends of my children find the home raised eggs from our chickens odd. It disturbs me that many kids think that eggs come from a supermarket reefer.

    ReplyDelete